\* */

Friday, October 24, 2008

[SraLogo[1].JPG]


From the book 660 curries, in hindi, it's called 'khatte Meethe Chanay'. Dark brown, hot-sweet and highly tart, this sauce blankets two kinds of beans, chickpeas and kidney beans, both quiet widely used in northern indian cuisine. This is a appetizer curry with a basket of naan, either store-bought or home-made, cut into small wedges. Dunk the naan in the addictive sauce, or spoon the legumes over the naan pieces.
I was at home and I didnt go out becos I had terrible cough. The home makes me comfort to take rest and feel warm. I feel in the morning, summer has started and my hubby, forced me to get fresh air in the evening and so he took me out. I wore simple dresses. When I get down the car, I was shivering and the temperature suddenly drops to 40 degree C. The winter has started and I was thinking of what to cook for dinner. Karthik, my hubby dear request me to relax and bought veggie pizza for our dinner. The next day, I made the comfort food, sweet and sour chickpeas and kidney beans for the winter. I am happy that lovely lady Sra in her beautiful blog, "When my soup came alive" is hosting this month's My Legume Love Affair, a lovely event for the winter. I am sending this comfort food to a lovely event.



Recipes that makes 5 cups:
3 cups cooked chickpeas
2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 medium-sized Onion
1 large tomato(optional but highly recommended)
8 medium-sized garlic cloves
4 to 6 dried red thai or cayenne chiles, to taste, stems removed
3 lengthwise slices fresh ginger(each 2 inches long, 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick)
2 tabelespoon ghee or oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tabelespoons ground coriander seeds
2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt
2 teaspoons white granulated sugar(I used one tabelspoon of Jaggery/brown sugar)
1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cardomom seeds from green or white pods
2 teaspoon tamarind paste or concentrate
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems

Combine the onion, garlic, chiles and ginger in a food processor, and pulse until minced.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over the medium high heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook till turn reddish brown, and smell nutty, 5 to 10 seconds. Immediately add the minced blend and stir fry until the mixture is pungent(adequate ventilation is a good idea at this point, to prevent upper respiratory discomfort) and light brown around the edge, 5 to 8 minutes.
Stir in the coriander, salt, sugar, fennel, turmeric and cardomom, and stir until the spices are cooked but not burned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chickpeas and kidney beans, and pour in 4 cups water. Stir in the tamarind paste; it'll turn the murky brown. Bring the curry to a boil. Then lower heat to medium and simmer, unconvered, stirring occasionally, until a lot of the liquid has been absorbed and the sauce has thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir in the cilantro and serve with a dollop of ghee if needed and with any rotis or chapatti and enjoy. It always taste the best when it's eatten next day.

1 comments:

sra said...

It looks lovely, thanks for the entry!

Post a Comment

Next previous home
 
© Copyright by Simply innocence  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial