\* */

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gajar Ka halwa

Carrot Halwa
Gajar ka Halwa is the most popular Indian desert. Gajar in Hindi means Carrot and it can also be called Carrot pudding. I love to eat it when it's hot or warm as it has a rich taste with a fragrant of cardamon. I love to cook carrot in the pressure cooker to get rid of its raw smell. I dont have khoya and silvered almond in hand for garnishing. It would be good if it's decorated with it. Some people cooked it in a different way like cooking it directly on the pan, adding more ghee and sugar, adding saffron and adding Khoya.
I wanted to cook something sweet for my family. I am thinking over again and again. Then I asked my Karthik to buy bunch of fresh carrots in kroger. I decided to cook Gajar Ka Halwa with less ghee and less sugar to taste. I dint expect that it came out excellent. I feed Jaihari and he told me, "Mummy, that's enough". I was not happy and thinking that he hates it. The next day, his daddy opened the fridge to take it and microwave it for 10 seconds. He knows that I enjoyed when it's hot. I was very busy in blogging and he feed me. He also finished it. Jaihari asked, "Mummy, I love that orange sweet, where's the one for me?" I burst into laughter and told him that it's over and asked why he didnt say that he liked it. He smiled and said that he simply admired it. I made him sure to make some sweets for him the next day. He hugged me.
I want to pass it to my readers and friends in my blog to wish to say thinking of you in a special day with bouquet of roses, smiles, love and hug. Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Gajar Ka Halwa
Ingredients:
5 to 6 Carrots
1/2 cup to 1 cup Milk (adjust)
4 Cardamom pods
1/4 cup Water
3 tablespoons Ghee
1/4 cup of mixed nuts ( walnut, pecan, pistachios, almonds, sunflower seeds, cashewnuts and raisins)
1/4 cup Sugar

Wash and grate the carrots. Pressure cook it for 2 whistles with 1/4 cup water.
Heat one tsp of ghee and add the carrot just to coat well on medium flame. Add milk. Reduce the flame when it's boiling.
Cook on a low flame for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Add sugar, mix well and cook till the sugar has dissolved and all the milk has been absorbed.
Add the slightly crushed cardamoms. Heat 3 tablespoon of ghee in another small saucepan and fry mixed well till golden and add to the halwa. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Remove the gajjar halwa from heat and arrange in a serving dish. Serve cold, hot or at room temperature.
My desert goes to Cooking for kids hosted by Preety, RCI Haryana Event, Made for Each Other, Just For You, LOVE-HEART SHAPED FOODS and Healthy Family Dinners.

[cookingforkidslogo.jpg][meo-09.jpg]

[images[5].jpg]

6 comments:

Anonymoussaid...

Thanks rajee for your entry,the carrot halwas as i always say is a UNIVERSAL FAVOURITE.Good to see it in Heart shape :-)

EC said...

Thanks for the tasty entry

PG said...

yes, that heart shaped halwa really looks tempting!
thanks for your comment at my blog!

Lakshmi said...

heart shaped halwa looks delicious ..nice presentation :)

Anonymoussaid...

Hi Rajee,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. The halwa looks yummy and colorful.You have a pretty cool blog.

Jaya M said...

Rajee,
thanks for visiting my place ..
Gajar ka halwa looks so delicious ..this is just what I need now :)..
hugs and smiles

Post a Comment

Next previous home
 
© Copyright by Simply innocence  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial