\* */

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Split moong dal with Brinjal Curry:Spirit of Love

Cooking with Pedatha

I am very happy that Cooking for kids with Love event is announced to write more about pedatha(amayee) better than food. I thank you, Sharmi of Neivedyam who lovely invites me to participate this wonderful event to make sure that I shouldnt be missed.

The meal that I learnt from her is rice, Kathirikkai paasi paruppu Kulambo(Split moong dal & Brinjal Curry), Valaikkai Porial and Kothumai rava payasam(Cracked wheat Payasam)
Yes, I am very sure that even Kids love to eat that meals to their heart content cooked by my Pedatha.
Let me write one recipe of her Kathirikkai paasi paruppuai Kulambo(Split moong dal & Brinjal Curry)
Ingredients:
Paasi Paruppu(Split moong dal) - 1/2 cup
Brinjal - 4 or 5 (chopped into lengthwise)
Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
Sambar podi - 1 tbsp
Green chilly - 3 whole
Garlic - 3 crushed
turmeic - 1/4 tsp
Shredded coconut - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp + 1tbsp (for frying and seasoning)
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Seasonings:
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
urad dal - 1 tbsp
hing - pinch
Curry leaves - 1 stick or few
Coriander leaves for garnishing.
Wash the dal and pressure cook it with 3 cups of water, green chilly, crushed garlic, turmeric and oil for 3 whistles.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a saucepan. Fry brinjals till soft and keep aside. In the same pan, add one tbsp of oil and do the seasonings. Fry onion till transcalent. Add brinjal and sambar podi into the onion mixture. Fry for few minutes. Add dhal with enough water, salt and coconut. Let it cook for 10 minutes in medium low flame. Add ghee and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice, roti, idly, dosa.


4 comments:

Sharmi said...

very lovely post Rajee. very authentic. I saw the other link too. Nice family pics(huge one)
these days we never get to see all our relatives together like that:) Thanks a lot for the entry.

Preety said...

Wow such a lovely recipe for the event..

Anonymoussaid...

Dear Rajee, my first time here and I was moved to tears to hear you talk of your family. Very lovely memories you have shared, and such a delicious recipe of my favorites brinjal with moong dal! I will try and think of you :)

Sending you best wishes :)

Deepa Hari said...

Kozhambu looks great Rajee...like ur recipe too...i added coconut to aval upma...i must say it did taste great...thank you for the wonderful tip.

Post a Comment

Next previous home
 
© Copyright by Simply innocence  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial